Explore & Soar Attractions
Add some adventure to your visit! Located inside the zoo just past Hasbro’s Our Big Backyard are some wild extras. Choose from an exhilarating zip ride or a woodlands train excursion.
Hours of Operation
Zip ride and train ride tickets are sold on-site only at the Explore & Soar ticket booth. Ride tickets are sold all day until 3:15 pm, with the last ride at 3:30 pm. All riders require tickets.
All rides are open weather permitting:
- April: Open weekends only, plus daily during Providence’s April School Vacation Week
- May: Open weekends only, plus Memorial Day
- June – August: Open daily
- September & October: Open weekends only, plus holidays
- November – March: CLOSED
Ride Pricing, Policies & Passenger Restrictions
The Soaring Eagle zip ride showcases breathtaking views 115 feet above the Zoo allowing riders to see out over Providence and into Narragansett Bay in comfortable side-by-side seats.
Price: $9 per rider or two rides for $16; $7/12 for current RWPZoo members.
Passenger Capacity: 2 persons
- There is no age requirement, but riders must meet age/weight restrictions.
- Riders must be at least 42″ tall.
- Total combined weight of two riders must be less than 450 lbs., and both people must fit securely in the restraint systems.
- Passengers with physical disabilities must be able to be secure in the restraints.
- All legs must be present to the knee at a minimum.
- No prosthetics allowed on the ride.
- Expectant mothers: Due to the nature of the restraining device (i.e. lap belt), expectant mothers are discouraged from riding, and will be verbally warned that a lap band could place undue force or pressure on the baby.
All aboard the Woodlands Explorer! Hop on-board this fun, family-friendly, premium train all summer long (weather permitting). Designed for all ages, this ride is located adjacent to Hasbro’s Our Big Backyard in the Zoo’s Explore & Soar area.
Price: $3 per rider (A rider is any adult or child age 2 and up)
- There is no age requirement, however riders who cannot sit up on their own must be accompanied by an adult.
- The train has a capacity of 18-28 people depending on the mix of riders.
The Woodlands Explorer is wheelchair accessible. Please note that the train can only accommodate manual wheelchairs and not motorized wheelchairs/EZ carts.
The Soaring Eagle zip ride will be open (weather-permitting) during the Asian Lantern Spectacular and Jack-o-Lantern Spectacular. Capture the sky-high views of downcity after dark!
- During the Asian Lantern Spectacular and Jack-o-Lantern Spectacular fundraisers, zip ride tickets are a flat-rate $15 (no member discount)
- Tickets are only sold on-site on a first come, first served basis. They are not presold online. All riders must buy a same-night Spectacular ticket.
The Woodlands Explorer train ride is closed during all evening Spectacular shows.