Explore & Soar Attractions
Add some adventure to your visit! Located inside the zoo just past Hasbro’s Our Big Backyard are some wild extras. Choose from an exhilarating zip ride or a woodlands train excursion.
Ride Hours of Operation
Zip ride and train ride tickets are sold on-site only at the Explore & Soar ticket booth. Ride tickets are sold all day until 3:15 pm, with the last ride at 3:30 pm. All riders require tickets.
All rides are open weather permitting:
- April: Open weekends only, plus daily during Providence’s April School Vacation Week
- May: Open weekends only, plus Memorial Day
- June – August: Open daily
- September & October: Open weekends only, plus holidays
- November – March: CLOSED
Soaring Eagle Zip Ride
The Soaring Eagle zip ride showcases breathtaking views 115 feet above the Zoo allowing riders to see out over Providence and into Narragansett Bay in comfortable side-by-side seats.
Price: $9 per rider or two rides for $16; $7/12 for current RWPZoo members.
Passenger Capacity: 2 persons
- There is no age requirement, but riders must meet age/weight restrictions and be at least 42″ tall.
- Total combined weight of two riders must be less than 450 lbs., and both people must fit securely in the restraint systems.
- Passengers with physical disabilities must be able to be secure in the restraints.
- All legs must be present to the knee at a minimum.
- No prosthetics allowed on the ride.
- Expectant mothers: Due to the nature of the restraining device (i.e. lap belt), expectant mothers are discouraged from riding, and will be verbally warned that a lap band could place undue force or pressure on the baby.
Woodlands Explorer All-Ages Train
All aboard the Woodlands Explorer! Hop on-board this fun, family-friendly, premium train all summer long (weather permitting). Designed for all ages, this ride is located adjacent to Hasbro’s Our Big Backyard in the Zoo’s Explore & Soar area.
Price: $3 per rider (A rider is any person age 2 and up)
- There is no age requirement, however riders who cannot sit up on their own must be accompanied by an adult.
- The train has a capacity of 18-28 people depending on the mix of riders.
The Woodlands Explorer is wheelchair accessible. Please note that the train can only accommodate manual wheelchairs and not motorized wheelchairs/EZ carts.
Are the rides open during the Spectacular shows?
The Soaring Eagle zip ride will be open (weather-permitting) during the Asian Lantern Spectacular and Jack-o-Lantern Spectacular. Capture the sky-high views of downcity after dark!
- During the Jack-o-Lantern Spectacular, zip ride tickets are a flat-rate $15 (no member discount)
- Tickets are only sold on-site on a first come, first served basis. They are not presold online. All riders must buy a same-night Spectacular ticket.
The Woodlands Explorer train ride is closed during all evening Spectacular shows.