Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve tried to make sure to answer all your questions within the pages of our site, but some questions are asked so frequently, we thought we would gather them together here for easy viewing. Enjoy your visit!
What safety measures are in place?
We have implemented several changes to our daily operations that help ensure the health and safety of our guests, employees, volunteers and animals.
Updated Safety Protocols:
- Online timed-ticket reservations for non-Zoo members.
- New hand-washing stations and hand sanitizer units have also been installed throughout the Zoo.
- Building and Grounds staff are enhancing all safety and cleaning measures to ensure the already high standards followed for the safety of our animals, staff and guests.
We love going to the Zoo, but where are we going to park?Concerned Customer
The Zoo covers about 40 acres. The average length of stay is three hours. The path through the Zoo is a little more than one-mile long. Roger Williams Park Zoo features more than 100 different species of amazing animals! See our Animals on Exhibit page for more information.
No. The World of Adaptations and the Zoo’s Faces of the Rainforest exhibit have indoor areas, as well as the greenhouse next to Hasbro’s Our Big Backyard. We also have indoor concessions and gift shops.
Note: The Faces of the Rainforest Building currently closes daily at 3:30 pm. Guests must be in line for the exhibit by 3:00 pm to be ensured entry.
Yes! Free parking available in the Zoo’s main parking lots and along the roads within the public park.
Yes. The rental kiosk is located at the main entrance. All rentals are available on a first come, first served basis except where otherwise noted. The Zoo covers about 40 acres, and the path through Zoo grounds is slightly over a mile long. It’s mostly wheelchair-accessible, though it does include hills and uneven or unpaved terrain. The average length of stay is three hours. Wheelchairs and strollers are available at the rental kiosk located at the main entrance or online in advance. One and two seat strollers are available on a first come, first served basis for $7 (single stroller) and $9 (double stroller). Manual wheelchairs are available on a first come, first served basis for $7.
An EZ Cart (automated wheelchair) is also available for rental by reservation. They are available for $27 each at the rental area near the Zoo’s main entrance on a first come, first served basis or with an online reservation.
Yes. In keeping with our family-friendly atmosphere, and for health and safety reasons, Roger Williams Park Zoo strictly enforces a dress code. Proper attire must be worn in the park at all times, including shirts and appropriate footwear except in the Hasbro’s Our Big Backyard water area. Clothing with rude, vulgar, or offensive language or graphics is not permitted at any time. Park admission may be denied if clothing is deemed by management to be inappropriate.
Yes. First Aid is located in the Sophie Danforth building across from the Alex and Ani Farmyard exhibit. Please refer to the Zoo map for the exact location.
Donation requests may be submitted online at https://rwpzoo.approveforgood.com. Requests are reviewed and approved on a first come, first served basis. We only honor requests from Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. We’ll donate only one time per event, per organization, per year. Requests are limited to (2 – 4) admission passes for your event. These passes are only valid for general admission and cannot be used for Zoobilee, Jack–O–Lantern Spectacular or any other special event fundraiser.
Yes. There are two main food concessions: Tuskers, located near Africa’s Jambo Junction, and Nourish 401, located in the upper Zoo. There is also Slice, located in Jambo Junction, as well as various mobile carts located throughout the Zoo.
There are two gift shops: The smaller Masai Market located at Jambo Junction, and the larger Discover the Wild Gift Shop, located in the historic Menagerie building.
Yes. The public is allowed to bring their own food into the Zoo, but are not allowed to feed the animals. Also, please note that the Zoo does not have any secure storage facilities/lockers, so lunches and other materials must be carried with you. Picnic tables are available.
There are no lockers or storage facilities currently available on zoo grounds. Please be advised that guests will need to carry their belongings with them.
ATM’s are available at the Admissions Plaza and inside Nourish 401.
Yes. There is a petting zoo at the Alex and Ani Farmyard Contact Yard, where people can walk among and interact with the farm animals.
Pets, emotional support and therapy animals are not allowed inside the Zoo for the safety and well-being of our guests as well as our Zoo animals. However, the Zoo will allow service animals for all disabilities on grounds as outlined by the ADA standards.
Every year, Roger Williams Park Zoo receives many inquiries from people who would like to donate wild animals or exotic pets. However, the Zoo is not able to accept them. Please do not release an exotic or non-native animal into the wild – there is very little chance of survival.
If you have an animal in need of a new home, try the following:
- Contact local and regional rescue organizations that specialize in caring for unwanted pets, such as the ASPCA.
- Ask friends & neighbors for assistance. Many folks have an interest in animals or may know someone with an interest.
No. Skateboards, roller skates, roller blades, and boom boxes are not allowed on Zoo grounds.
Smoking is not permitted anywhere on Zoo grounds for the comfort and health of all our visitors, as well as the animals that reside here. Per the City of Providence, the entire Roger Williams Park is smoke free. E-cigarettes are not allowed.
Visitors may be paged only in the case of an emergency. We suggest that when you arrive at the Zoo, you choose a meeting spot should your party become separated. If a child is missing, please tell the first Zoo staff member or security guard you see, and we will coordinate an organized search effort right away.
Absolutely! There’s no better place to have a “wild” party than Roger Williams Park Zoo! You can find out more about our birthday party, corporate outing, and other event options on Birthday Parties, Private Events & Meetings page.
Yes. Items returned to the Lost and Found are kept at the Admissions office, located at the Zoo’s front entrance. You may email VisitorServices@rwpzoo.org or call (401) 785-3510 ext. 690 to find out if an item has been turned in. Due to limited storage, items are only kept for a maximum of 10 days; Lost and Found is automatically emptied at the end of each month. Items claimed (but never picked up) are also subject to these policies. All guests are asked to take care of personal belongings as Roger Williams Park Zoo is not responsible for the care, storage, condition, or availability of any lost and/or found articles on Zoo grounds.
Each timeslot is one hour long. You must arrive to the zoo within this hour window (ex: if you have a 1 PM ticket, be sure to enter the zoo between 1 – 2 PM). Once inside, you may explore the zoo for as long as you’d like, right up to the 4 PM closing.
RWPZoo members no longer need to reserve a timed ticket in advance. Just show your digital membership card and a matching photo ID at any ticket booth for entry on the day of your visit.
Yes, You can present valid tickets to the cashier upon arrival. No reservation is needed. However, if you don’t have enough tickets to cover everyone in your group, please be sure to buy the extra tickets online in advance.
Ticket sales are final. Due to capacity limits, we cannot reschedule or refund your tickets. If you can’t make your scheduled time, we recommend sharing your non-member tickets with a friend or family members.
Download your digital eMembership Card on the App Store or Play Store for fast and easy access.
Download App for iPhone >
Download App for Android >
You may need to click on ‘Find My Membership Cards’ in the app to refresh.
As a non-profit, we are grateful for your admission because it funds our animal care and conservation efforts. Even so, we do have a few limited ways to save:
- AZA Reciprocal Membership Discounts
- If you’re a member of an AZA reciprocal organization, you can receive half-priced admission for up to 2 adults and 2 children (ages 2-12).
NOTE: Because we have to verify your eligibility in-person, these discounts are not sold online and can only be redeemed onsite. A valid membership card from your home zoo plus a matching photo ID are both required to receive the benefit.
- Military Discounts (Tickets & Membership)
- The military discount gives half-priced admission for up to 4 people living in the same household, including the cardholder. To receive the discount, you must present a valid military ID.
- The military discount also lets you save on memberships! Save $20 off a yearly Zoo membership; Save $20 on a Family level membership or higher. You can purchase your discounted membership on-site or by contacting the Zoo’s Membership Department (firstname.lastname@example.org or 401-785-3510 ext. 375).
NOTE: Military discounts apply to active and retired military, including spouses. A valid military ID is required. Because we have to verify your eligibility in-person, these discounts are not available online and can only be redeemed onsite. These discounts cannot be combined with other offers.
- Free First Saturdays for Providence (Free admission for residents of the City of Providence)
- As a “thank you” to Providence residents whose tax money helps to support the Zoo, the first Saturday of every month is free to residents of the City of Providence (not East or North Providence). A valid ID and proof of residency* must be shown at the ticket window, no need to reserve your tickets in advance.
- *Acceptable forms of identification or residency include a driver’s license, State issued ID, Providence Municipal IDs, lease agreement, utility bill, etc.
- Rhode Island Zoo Access Program
- Roger Williams Park Zoo is offering a discounted membership to community members who participate in Rhode Island’s EBT program. Get a $149 Family membership for just $35!
- If you are an adult EBT cardholder and currently reside in Rhode Island, you may be eligible to receive a discounted Family membership. The Family level membership includes 2 adults in the same household and up to 4 children or grandchildren. Memberships are intended for one household, and are non-refundable and non-transferrable. As a Roger Williams Park Zoo member, you will also receive discounts on special events like the Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular, food and gift purchases, party rentals, education programs, and more.
- For details, or to take advantage of this offer, please contact the Membership Department at 401-785-3510 ext. 375 or email at email@example.com Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- Winter Wonder Days
- Enjoy half-priced admission every January and February! Come see the snow leopards, moon bears, red pandas, and more animals frolicking in the frosty weather. To save, add eligible daytime zoo tickets to your shopping cart, advance to the next screen, and the discount will automatically apply.
Become a Member
Join now and visit all year long—for free!
By joining Roger Williams Park Zoo, you are becoming a member of one of the country’s most outstanding Zoos. Whether you are a grandparent, parent, couple or individual, there is something for everyone. So don’t hesitate —join the Zoo—where it is Always an Adventure!